Pride and Prejudice

I was swallowing the mess food while watching retelecasts of IPL one afternoon when I got poked.
"Did You see that?" It was the guy sitting next to me.
"Huh?"
"Did You see that?", he said pointing to the hot HR couple who had just finished their lunch and were leaving.
"What?", I was expecting some comment on the girl as that is what I generally hear from him. And so turned my attention to the television.
"That! The guy picked up the girl's plate!", he literally exclaimed. I saw his face. It carried an expression which said that something disgusting and very silly had happened at the same time. The guy has had all his schooling in some village in Bihar and being acquainted with him I well knew what he meant, still I put on a garb of innocence and tried to enquire.
"So?"
"What do you mean so? Will you pick your wife's plate!", he said thinking this would make me understand.
"I might."
"Then you will wash her clothes as well."
"May be."
"And you will press her legs when she is tired.", he said laughing at my foolishness.
"Whats wrong with that?", I asked unperturbed and with childish keenness.
He started banging the table.
"Hey Pradsad, hey devi, come here and listen what Parikh is saying." He called his mates and briefed them about our little conversation. They started laughing at and mocking me.
When you are surrendered by guys who would ridicule your every word spoken, you should keep your notions to yourself. That is the best defence. But oversmartness got me then and I thought I should try to reason with them.
"Bhai logo, both of them work at the same position, earn the same...whats wrong with the guy picking the girl's plate once."
And there was more laughter, more jokes on me.

I have played this conversation many times in my mind and it has always brought a smile on my face. Partly because of the musical and rustic Bihari tone of his, but mostly becuase all the time when they were laughing at me, I was laughing proudly at their prejudice.

Comments

  1. thats an interesting conversation all right!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that was really interesting. Though it is not uncommon to see those from convents or co-ed colleges to hold the same views as your friends do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonder what dat meant aviral!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is refering to his mnit mates i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup most guys think like that...nice to know there are exceptions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. everyone is prejudiced about something or the other...u must be too about something..i have lived in south india for 4 years..i know how prejudiced ppl are about skin color...and its nor restricted to biharis or anyone who is not from convent...its an inherent indian trait..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. true Prateek, we are all prejudiced.
    by the by, the underlying theme of the post is not The Prejudice but the induced pride on recognition of prejudice...

    Disclaimer: I do not intend to deride any section of society or person in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. true, it is the pride... and it'd be so nice if their wives were like them and no one ever picked up the plates :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice thoughts my friend....
    i think this prejudice has been shifting to women nw to create a balance...but its gud to meke men know abt their ignorance...tats hw it is n it ll be....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, sad as it is, there are SO many Indians who think that way still. But its a relief to know that people like you exist too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well dear, in the long run it's you who will be laughing when you are showered with the love of someone who respects your views and cherishes the effort you take for her !!!

    Those guys are just idiots I tell u ... Those are the men whose wives end up making fun of them for being lazy and inconsiderate !!!

    So there !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. pata hai, liked and appreciatre everything written here, but the best part of the post was ur comment...
    "the underlying theme of the post is not The Prejudice but the induced pride on recognition of prejudice..."

    true, these acobnversations are not uncommon... thank god that i am living in a slightly better world..!!

    thanks anyways for putting it up here..!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. completely agree wid MOI here...

    and...and..still dunno wat aviral meant..tho ur interpretation helped, mohit

    ReplyDelete
  14. @moi
    hehehe...thts typical you! (i can read u through ur blog)

    @appy
    Yeah ppl like me exist.
    Single. Not bad looking. Available. Please spread it in frnd circle. :)

    Just kidding.

    @rohit
    ur welcome, dude. Whenever u judge someone ur ego is conspicuous...and so one needs to watch out. hence this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mohit,

    I think this warrants a little conversation from me. I really belong to your school of thought. I have been living with a woman for 6 months now, and there is no greater pleasure in picking her plate, washing her clothes, washing the dishes, the floor, and even giving her a deserved massage 50 per cent of the time. After all, which educated man would want a companion that is not his equal. You correctly pointed out the lack of education in those guys.

    But, if you write a column on prejudice and how you hate it and silently mock it, perhaps it would be wiser to hide yours - like the one against Biharis. I'm no Bihari, but the thing made me smile.

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mohit,

    I think this warrants a little conversation from me. I really belong to your school of thought. I have been living with a woman for 6 months now, and there is no greater pleasure in picking her plate, washing her clothes, washing the dishes, the floor, and even giving her a deserved massage 50 per cent of the time. After all, which educated man would want a companion that is not his equal. You correctly pointed out the lack of education in those guys.

    But, if you write a column on prejudice and how you hate it and silently mock it, perhaps it would be wiser to hide yours - like the one against Biharis. I'm no Bihari, but the thing made me smile.

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  17. right. it just dint occur to me.
    when u pointed out, it made me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great website, looks very clean and organized. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts