Knowing a lot about

Browsing through my uncle's library I got hold of a book which startled me.
"Wisdom of crowds? wtf! Crowds are stupid.", I exclaimed to myself.
Obviously, crowds Are stupid. History is replete with examples. There are explainations for it- scientific, psychological, philosphical. I knew them. I agreed with them. This was one of those things I couldn't be more sure of.
Pointing at the book with a half-suspicious-half-curious look I said to him, "I thought crowds were stupid" Why would he buy something like this!
"Right, Right", he said widening his eyes and nodding his head in excitement,"that is why we should read him, he is saying something contrary to our opinion."
His answer made me still for a moment. My instincts were to argue, refute and ridicule the concept, where as he was actually trying to listen.
It was a small incident but a significant one. It reminds me to be open minded, to be curious and inquisitive...more so on matters that I think I already know a lot about.

P.S. Turns out I confused "Groups" with "Crowds"...still who thinks Crowds can be wise.

Comments

  1. Agree with the effort needed to remain open-minded(no!not of the brains falling out variety) Explains why I am so finicky about balancing my reads. Well,each one blends their own perfect poison of mind dominating influences!

    So here is my (officially) first comment on ur blog. Inherent cuteness in a might good story teller sure makes for an adorable nanny :P Alright that was brimming with undertones of jealousy...now uncle's personal library?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. crowd is what we are bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey HP
    I am delighted to see u here.
    And I promise I wld certainly tell bed time stories to ur kids, not as a nanny but as the godfather(and i m raising my collar here). They should get sometime out from the bad influence of their spoiled parents.
    neways, me making u jealous through my writing...now this was Sarcastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The point in the post was perfect, but just to add a thing. The book makes you not only curious but imaginative.

    You read a book name and don't understand a point about it. Then try to think what possibly he would want to say/. Possibly he is saying something about collective intelligence.

    "That one should no go after a LIC policy which sounds lucrative and highly publicized because the insurance companies just want to make profits on them and hide the ones that are less profitable." This is an example I came across recently. Not sure what the book says

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts