Orwell's description of a novelist

- I just read this post by Tim Lott on the Guardian. He couldn't be more correct. Orwell's description of the writers “All writers are vain, selfish and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives there lies a mystery. Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon which one can neither resist nor understand" I find accurate too.   
Gotta find a solution to this occupational hazard (yes, it is the writing that turns good people into vain, selfish, lazy, envious jerks). 
Not caring about the reception of your work is a solution. Easier said than done... but I am confident. 
More on this later.

- A friend urged me to start blogging. He made sense. What am I so uptight about? I make writing fiction such a huge task.. I need to find the voice first. I need to make notes and do research. Where is my weekend of solitude? This desk is too high. Why can't there be a perfect chair and desk and word processor to write, are they so damn hard to make?... 
Stupid, vain thoughts. I am sure blogging is not going to be that simple, not in its first week at least. I want to try to just write what I think. To just say things. You know, no photoshopping. 
Let's see how it goes.

- This week my guiding phrase has been 'Voice of Life.' I don't know if I heard it somewhere, pretty sure I did, but maybe I just formed it myself in response to some inquiry. Oh yes, I was wondering which story idea to go ahead with. The dilemmas were ethical, not craft related. 
Listen to the Voice of Life. Let it express through you. 
Sounds fine to me.     

Comments

Popular Posts